We love family camping.
We recently returned from our first full-blown family camping trip with all three daughters and loved every minute of it.
However, I would be lying if I said that it all passed off without a hitch 😉
With this in mind here is my list of things that will most likely go wrong whilst on a family camping trip:
- The School’s stuffed animal that does the rounds coming home for families to share in what they get up to will almost certainly end up on the stove and generally be abused
- You will run out of stove gas mid cooking leaving you with a half-cooked meal when everyone is starving
- You won’t wash for 3 days straight just because you can
- At some point it will rain…..lot’s
- Your tent will leak….at least three times
- You will forget at least one important item like the room box key or the mallet
- The kids will wake up at 5 am at first light and you will know about it….every single day
- All rules about access to digital devices will go out of the window in the hope of keeping the kids entertained whilst you try to read a book…..
- A child will leave an offending but elusive skid somewhere in the tent that for love nor money you will not be able to pinpoint despite the lingering smell
- You will burn some toast….twice…..and stink the tent out
- Your milk will go off
- You will become the collector of scouring pads over the course of your stay resulting in you being able to become a professional washer upper
- You will make some special friends on the first day and spend the rest of the week trying to avoid them
- You will encounter pubic hair blocking the shower plugholes
- Your children will make friends with other children and you will only see them at mealtimes, dashing your hopes for some quality family time only replacing it with begrudgingly having to read the newspaper
- You will misplace your car keys…more than once
- Your kids will misplace your car keys too
- You will inherit someone else’s child(ren) and despite your best efforts you will not be able to get rid of them and their parents will not be forthcoming in reciprocating the childcare favour
- Your kids will go to bed in the same set of clothes that they then wake up in and wear the next day (well it does save time getting them dressed and on washing)
What epic fails have you had when camping?
How do you cope with camping with young children?
As always it would be great to hear from you with your comments below 🙂
Pop your details below to receive our monthly newsletter packed with helpful hints and advice to help you become even better!